[Alberg30] Thanks to all - Nova Scotia to Bermuda

Wally Moran helm at georgianbaysailing.ca
Tue Mar 12 15:08:52 PST 2002

right - we do all his work and he gets all the glory! Some people ;-)

>Well Folks,
>     What a wonderful response. This site and this association is truly
>special.  Thanks to all who have responded.  I was concerned I would be
>looked upon as fool-hardy, and have therefore much appreciated the
>expressions of support.  I am building quite a printed library from your
>     In fact, Cornell has been my bedtime reading for a long time now,
>that routine only broken occasionally when I pick up Spurr (Upgrading
>the Cruising Sailboat) or Vigor (The Seaworthy Offshore Sailor)
>instead.  Other fascinating books play a somewhat lesser role. I also
>have a small advantage of being in the military, and have been fortunate
>in establishing contact with navigators / sailors in the Canadian forces
>(but only very recently).
>     Personally, my background is in flying, but certainly I have had the
>(mis?) fortune to make the Halifax/Bermuda run in anitiquated two seater
>fighter jets, with a distinct lack of sophisticated navigation
>equipment.  Hopefully, my luck would hold at the much lower altitudes
>and speeds that I envision on this trip!
>     I have already been spending weekends upgrading the boat - seacocks,
>mast support beam, chainplates, electronics, etc..  I have  11 days off
>in early April to continue those repairs, and undertake some others,
>such as the cutless bearing.  The information I have received from this
>site has provided priceless guidance - many thanks to all.
>     The granting of time off next winter (Oct - Apr) is not yet fully
>confirmed , but it looks like a "go" at this time. I would have thought
>that to leave much earlier than end-Oct was to risk late-developing
>hurricanes, and to leave much later than end-Nov was to greatly increase
>the risk of encountering Northerlies (that would blow against the Gulf
>Stream) -  but some of the feedback would indicate an earlier departure
>would be more appropriate?
>     Again, many thanks to all.  I'll certainly let you know if / when I
>launch.
>Dan Morley
>"Avoca" #322

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in
sailing. Anon
www.georgianbaysailing.ca for interesting reading for sailors
 | Get in gear for an early Spring with SailNet's ten percent discount |
 |  *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 ***  |