[Alberg30] Re: offshore in the fall

Wally Moran helm at georgianbaysailing.ca
Wed Mar 13 08:15:44 PST 2002

Hi - out of Dutchman's Cove, in Penetang. Thanks for the info. I
guess my information was from Florida based sailors. I didn't realize
that Long Island made the best jumpoff. Should have looked at a map I
suppose.

Wally Moran

>Hi there,
>
>I think that the shortest distance to Bermuda involves a departure from just
>north of or just south of Long Island.  That puts the passage at about 800
>miles plus or minus. I did that (Bermuda to New York) in a 30 footer in 5
>1/2 days - a very do-able trip.  It allows you to cross the Stream at right
>angles - I remember clearly the surprise we felt when the water flying over
>us slowly turned warm one night, and was cold agian the next day.
>
>Sailing to Bermuda from further south ie Lauderdale would involve sailing
>with the stream for many hundreds of miles - great for the 1-4 knot boost
>but horrible if the wind has any north in it.
>
>Wally - I am in G Bay too; where are you?   We sail out of Midland Bay
>Sailing Club.
>
>Gord
>#426 Surprise

 | Get in gear for an early Spring with SailNet's ten percent discount |
 |  *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 ***  |