[Alberg30] Lightning protection

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Fri Mar 15 07:21:07 PST 2002

It would seem there are as many opinions as there are sailors - we have a copper pipe which connects below the sole from the mast to the engine and a second copper pipe which runs under the sheer inside the boat connecting the shrouds, stanchions to the main under sole pipe. I have often thought about connecting them to a larger grounding bronze plate as the two blade prop only works out to about 1.5 sq feet. Problem is of course hydrodynamic drag on an external plate if one were located under the mast. I feel from my reading it would need to be about 3 sq feet minimum which is not a small item - even if one made it a few inches wide and several feet long the sailing performance would be impaired.

I am not sure if the above would really fully protect a boat as we actually watched a 50' IOR boat at our club get hit and she was fully grounded - the damage was huge - chunks blown out of the rudder, out of the hull at the chain plates which were grounded - and she had several connections to her huge keel bolts. Lightening goes where it wants and this boat was hit by a heavy direct hit - the lightening arched throughout her rig - it was awesome - fortunately no one was aboard during the hit. She had to be hauled and was in the shop for a month.

So can one realistically expect to get protection on a glass encapsulated keel boat with the minimal size of any plate one could offer up if a "protected" external keel boat wasn't protected?

I don't know the answer - but I suspect it is no.

Look forward to the discussion.

Fair winds and a lightening free summer.

Cheers,

John