[Alberg30] Screw the RUDDER SHOE??!?!?!

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 27 11:51:32 PST 2002

The rudder pin, on the very bottom of the rudder, is a 3/8" (maybe 1/2" - I
need to check that) silicon bronze bolt about 3" long which was screwed up
into the rudder. Depending on the condition of your pin, you should be able
to grab it with a pair of vice-grips and unscrew it. If if crumbles or
breaks off, the best thing to do is to file it flat with the rudder stock,
center punch it, and drill it out starting with a small pilot hole. DO NOT
ATTEMPT TO USE AN EZ-OUT TO REMOVE THIS BOLT since you will most likely
break it off and then be facing removing the rudder from the boat to make
the repair (been there - done that). Once it is drilled out to the
appropriate diamenter then re-tap the hole and install a new silicon bronze
bolt. It is not adviseable to use SS due to creavis crossion.

Hope this helps!