[Alberg30] Screw the RUDDER SHOE??!?!?!

Wally Moran helm at georgianbaysailing.ca
Wed Mar 27 11:47:31 PST 2002

i have always found with a screw that is difficult to start, turn it
very gently against the threads as close to the proper angle as
possible. Paying great attention, you will feel the end of the thread
'click' as it turns backwards over the beginning of the spiral in the
hole - then you can start turning it in. To see what I mean, try it
first putting a large bolt into a nut where you can see and feel what
is happening - then it makes sense.
Now get off your knees!

Wally

p.s. just got back from Tampa Bay and GREAT sailing...now if only
Georgian Bay would open up...

>Here is a *ridiculous* hang-up I'm having with el rudder shew--
>
>     Having cleaned out and fixed this and that (pintle/gudeon pin's *not*
>worn, it was made with a dimple in the middle to fool sods like me who
>thought it looked corroded) it's time to put back the rudder shoe.  It's SS
>pin looks fine, everything hunky dory.
>
>     But, ah, just try to get that SS screw (the big one pointing aft) to get
>started in it's hole!  (That's the hole in the heel of the keel-- FG
>threads, perhaps)  It's almost ##impossible## to get started-- finding the
>right angle, twist-- but once in it screws normally, holds tightly, seems
>very happy and proper.  However, even attempting to start the screw without
>the rudder shoe in place is well nigh impossible.  I've done it a couple of
>times-- as a test-- but can't consistently feel (with screw in hand) where
>the bloody threads are to get it started again.
>
>     Anyone else have this problem?  What to do!?!??
>
>     I imagine a different type fastener with a pointy end (not flat tip) to
>fit into the threaded hole might work better, but-- huh?  What?  Would a
>bolt make any difference?  Something like a sheet metal screw, but it'd have
>different threads (this is a relatively fine threaded 3/8 " screw.
>
>     Thanking you all for your helpful, nay, instantly effective,
>suggestions--
>
>     On bended knee--
>Randy
>--
>Randy Katz
>910 - 32nd Ave
>Seattle, WA. 98122
>(206)-323-1941

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in
sailing. Anon
www.georgianbaysailing.ca for interesting reading for sailors
 | Get in gear for an early Spring with SailNet's ten percent discount |
 |  *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 ***  |