[Alberg30] Re: new main

perry fizzano perry at fizzano.net
Mon May 20 12:38:42 PDT 2002

Ever heard of Sailrite?  They design and cut the sails for you and you stick the peices together and sew them up.  You could buy the sail kit (with detailed instructions and great customer service) for under half of what a loft would charge ... Or if you don't have a beefy sewing machine you could get the sail kit and an industrial sewing machine still for less than a loft would charge.

It's pretty easy to get a great sail if you have some patience and another set of hands and of course the added beneift is that you aren't mystified or intimidated by sail repair - and other sails for your boat: genoas, jibs, asymetrical cruising spinnakers, a storm trysail or whatever else you want are easily within your reach for even cheaper!

And I don't have any affiliation with sailrite other than I'm a satisfied customer.   later on,

perry

>Message: 1
>Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:42:14 -0400
>From: J Bergquist <j at ship.saic.com>
>To: public-list at alberg30.org
>Subject: [Alberg30] new main
>
>I am interested in buying a new main for racing/cruising my boat. Has anybody got any strong opinions on which sailmaker I should use, what kind of prices I should expect, what material works, and so forth? Are loose footed mains class legal? Should I get full battens? Has anybody had a particularly positive or negative experience with a particular cloth?
>
>I started by getting a quote from Quantum, and it is a little higher than I had expected it would be. I am going to try North, and I asked for a quote from Sobstad. Has anybody got other sailmakers that they know make good sails for Albergs?
>
>J Bergquist
>Calliope #287

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |