[Alberg30] barrier bottom protection

Kevin Blanc t.k.blanc at att.net
Sun May 12 08:37:18 PDT 2002

If I had the whole thing to do over again, I would do what Mike says.
Pull the boat every year, have it blocked well, and let it dry.

My Alberg (#254) was blister-free when I purchased it 11 years ago. For
several years, I left it in the water for two seasons, hauling it only
long enough to scrape/sand/paint with a soft ablative paint.

I developed blisters. Not deep ones, and not too many, but blisters none
the less. I hauled, sanded to bare gelcoat, dried for six months,
ground them out with a dremel tool (there were areas of dry laminate
just beneath the gelcoat), filled, and barrier coated. No signs of
problems since then. In my estimation, if the hull is allowed to dry,
the barrier coat products really do work.

Mike Lehman wrote:

> I wouldn't mess with it, especially since you only plan to keep the
> boat in the water for 9 months a year. Many of us keep our boats in
> the water years on end. The best blister protection, in my opinion, is
> to haul the boat each year and give it a chance to dry. If you had
> evidence of problems, I would go with a barrier coat.

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |