[Alberg30] Mast Step Bolts

tristan tristan at one.net
Mon May 20 20:06:54 PDT 2002

Hi Joe,

I would be inclined to redrill and tap the holes in the cast aluminum.  Make
sure that you carefully center your drill and hold it perpendicular to the
block while drilling.  Once your new oversized hole is drilled make sure there
are no vestiges of the old threads.. Next drill the holes on the mast base a
size larger to allow for clearance (or even two sizes larger to allow a little
wiggle room.  Next tap the hole with the appropriate size tap (use a table for
drill clearance hole size and tap size... Use tapeeze or some kind of lubricant
while running the tap.  Clean out all of the burrs when you are done and clean
out the hole.  When you replace the stainless steel bolts of the new larger
size make sure that you trial fit all bolts before torquing them down.  Also
use a barrier coating product that will protect the threads from each other so
you minimize or eliminate bimetallic corrosion.  Next put it all back
together.  Another thing for now is that since most the force of the mast at
rest is straight down, the one bolt will hold as long as all of your standing
rigging is tight

Good Luck!

Scott

FITZONELOVE at aol.com wrote:

> I re-stepped the mast today, and things were going just a little bit too
> well, and as I tried to tighten the 4 bolts that hold the mast to the deck
> plate,  3 OUT OF 4 bolts STRIPPED THE THREADS IN THE DECK PLATE!!! DAMN!!  I
> can see why this was inevitable; 1968 boat, SS bolts into threaded cast
> aluminum, galvanic corrosion, etc.  Has anyone had this happen to them?  I'm
> guessing the solution is drill and tap larger bolts into the existing holes.
> I assume there is not a lot of pressure on these bolts, and that they are
> there to prevent side to side motion.  I am suprised that both faces of the
> deck mount are flush, with no fitted joints, such as a square peg fitting
> into a square cutout.  But I have a boat on the mooring with 1 bolt holding
> the mast to the deck, and want to be able to sleep at night.  Your
> suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks,
> Joe Fitzpatrick  #186  ONE LOVE

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |