[Alberg30] Mast Step Bolts

FITZONELOVE at aol.com FITZONELOVE at aol.com
Mon May 20 19:29:04 PDT 2002

I re-stepped the mast today, and things were going just a little bit too
well, and as I tried to tighten the 4 bolts that hold the mast to the deck
plate,  3 OUT OF 4 bolts STRIPPED THE THREADS IN THE DECK PLATE!!! DAMN!!  I
can see why this was inevitable; 1968 boat, SS bolts into threaded cast
aluminum, galvanic corrosion, etc.  Has anyone had this happen to them?  I'm
guessing the solution is drill and tap larger bolts into the existing holes.
I assume there is not a lot of pressure on these bolts, and that they are
there to prevent side to side motion.  I am suprised that both faces of the
deck mount are flush, with no fitted joints, such as a square peg fitting
into a square cutout.  But I have a boat on the mooring with 1 bolt holding
the mast to the deck, and want to be able to sleep at night.  Your
suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks,
Joe Fitzpatrick  #186  ONE LOVE
 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |