[Alberg30] fuel starved ?

Robert Kirk isobar at cablespeed.com
Tue May 28 18:31:00 PDT 2002

Tom Swift wondered:
>My fellow Alberg sailors, My 1966 Atomic 4 and I set sail down the Chicago
>River and waited for all 13 bridges to go up in order to gain access to
>the lake. At bridge 13 the engine failed.
>Sounded a lot like it couldn't get fuel. In neutral it would limp along
>but in gear just sputtered and stalled. Intermittent but treacherous.
>Today after cleaning the plugs I set out for a harbor tour with the engine
>only. All was fine until I made a sharp turn and the engine spluttered
>again. Ran OK again until another sharp turn then the same deal.
>
>Any ideas, ( other than install a Yanmar !). Water separator, bad fuel,
>fuel filter ??

Exactly the same symptoms as my 1966 Atomic 4 in Isobar after I launched
this Spring.  I had worked on the fuel system over the winter and must have
shaken some debris loose. Eventually a piece of grit wound up in the carb.
You definitely (probably) have dirt clogging somewhere. Try cleaning the
fuel filter and fuel bowl, and finally the carb, if necessary.

>Yikes I hate the engine, but am a slave to it now.

Bite your tongue; it's a great engine. Purrs like a kitten now.

Cheers,

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181