[Alberg30] A 30 Trailers

Crufone at aol.com Crufone at aol.com
Thu Nov 14 06:22:30 PST 2002

Richard,
I was just able to reweigh my A 30, Trailer and tow vehicle and discovered
that the weight given to me upon loading was in error.

Boat, Trailer, and Truck             17,260#
Trailer axle weight                     10,260#
Dolly Down - dead weight           11,460#

Known Trailer weight                    2,800#

Boat weight                                 8,660#
Truck weight                                5,800#
Tongue weight                              1,200#

With this done I would like to revise my comment to the Alberg list that
people should be considering two 7,000# axles as the two 6,000# are
sufficient.  The axles are rated at something less than they will carry and
currently they are loaded at approximately 15% less that their rating. To me
the key to all of this is to install the load distribution system that
transfers some of the trailer axles load to the tow vehicle.  I also
installed an anti sway device.  The package towed very well behind a 1892 GMC
1 tonne dually with a 350 Chevrolet engine. The electric brakes on the
trailer were more than adequate. For the most part I kept the brake
controller on the lowest setting, slowed for RR crossings and kept my speed
at 45 mph or below.

I am working on the digital photos for you and the Alberg list.  I have been
swamped with other tasks since my Alberg was safely home.

Michael Connolly  #133