[Alberg30] Help- Tin Canning Bow

RReitz6289 at aol.com RReitz6289 at aol.com
Thu Nov 14 17:18:38 PST 2002

While placing my Friend " Dances With Waves " #457, on the hard for the
winter. The yard master discovered, and I conformed, that the forward part of
the port bow is seperating from the deck. The toe rail is about 1/2 to 3/4
inches above the deck. The area had been filled with caulk which is now
drying and falling out. I can oil can the top section of the hull about 1/4
inch, for a distance of from 6 inches aft of the bow for a distance of about
30 to 36 inches. To eliminate the possibility of water entering between the
toe rail and the hull, and possibly freezing over the winter, I have covered
the area with plastic and duct tape
My thoughts are that I will have to remove the toe rail, scrape away all
caulking, press the hull against the inner hull and fasten it to the deck in
some manner, probably screwing, then covering the area with fibreglas and
epoxy, finishing the job by reseating the toe rail.

Has anyone had a similar problem? How did they  ahndle it ? What does the
group feel about my solution? Can anyone think of problems I might encounter?
I am wide open to suggestions.

Thank you,
Ralph Reitz
Dances With Waves #457