[Alberg30] Home again!

Gord and Caroline Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun Nov 24 12:53:27 PST 2002

Hello there -

I have arrived home after 6 months away working on the film adaptation of Patrick O'Brian's "Far Side of the World".

Had my Alberg 30 "Surprise" #426 left in the water after my club hauled for the winter... and I sailed her yesterday.  Had to sweep the snow off the deck and the sheets were kinda stiff with ice but what the hell - I got out before the freeze-up.

I treated myself to a new genoa which I picked up from the sailmaker on the way home... and after three years of teetering over whether or not to keep the boat I am happy to say that the new sail made a colossal difference in her performance.  I think I will keep her after all.  My last boat was a beloved Folkboat and I have to say that until yesterday the Alberg compared very unfavourably to her in regards to stiffness, weatherliness, speed and general seakindliness.  I feel now that #426 is a worthy successor to Touch Wood.

I had the sail made by Joe Fernandes' son Ron, who is carrying on Triton Sails after the loss of his father.

Glad to be home (and that my engine block did not freeze)

Gordon Laco
"Surprise" KC426