[Alberg30] Mainsail halyard

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Sat Nov 2 11:57:45 PST 2002

Peter,
I decided to convert the mainsheet on Revolution, A30 #526, from wire/rope to 3/8" line also. In my case, there was room for the 3/8" to pass over the sheave except at the end of the line where it was spliced & thicker. Because of my concern that this part of the line could become jammed when the sail was fully raised, I opted to have a local machine shop duplicate my existing aluminum sheave, but with 1/2" less diameter. It seems to run freely now, but the boat hasn't been in the water since being rerigged. The test of real use will come this Spring.
Jay Davenport
 Peter Amos <peter.amos1 at btinternet.com> wrote:I see from the Maintenance site that the standard sheave can take a 3/8" halyard.Is there space in the housing above the sheave for this size line?If the space is tight could it be increased by careful use of a grinding stone on a Dremmel? Is 3/8" an O.K. size for a mainsail halyard?Peter Amos  #478