[Alberg30] Winter afloat questions

Wally Moran helm at georgianbaysailing.ca
Sat Nov 2 11:43:08 PST 2002

One addition to George's comments - if you usse a charger, make sure
it will give a trickle charge and shut off when the battery is fully
charged, otherwise you'll damage the battery. There are  solar panels
designed for just this purpose, they plug into a cigarette lighter
many of them. Also, make sure the batteries are topped up.

Wally

>Mary & Bill Mahony wrote:
>
>>1.  Should we use a fuel stabilizer?  If so, are there any problems with
>>the fuel once she is underway again?
>

>Fill the tank up, to reduce the amount of air, and therefore
>condensation.  Use a fuel stabilizer.  It won't hurt the engine.
>
>>2.  Is it a good idea to run the engine periodically, even at idle in
>>the slip, to keep the system functional and charge the batteries?  I've
>>heard mixed comments on this...
>

>No, winterize the engine and leave it be.  If you're worried about
>the batteries, disconnect them and charge them with an electric
>charger.
>
>>3.  We're considering purchasing a canvas cover for her advertised in
>>the sailing magazines--breathable, does not require a frame, looks like
>>a good idea.
>

>A canvas cover will help keep the boat clean, but isn't absolutely
>necessary.  If you don't have a cover and it snows, you'll need to
>shovel the snow out of the cockpit.  You'll need to shovel it off
>the lazarette, anyway, or it can funnel water below.  You'll want to
>check the boat periodically throughout the winter.  Also, it's
>important to keep things ventilated or you'll have mildew problems.
>
>  - George
>
>--
>   George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>   The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in
>   sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in
sailing. Anon
www.georgianbaysailing.ca for interesting reading for sailors
 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |