[Alberg30] Winter afloat questions

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Nov 2 09:44:27 PST 2002

Mary & Bill Mahony wrote:

> 1.  Should we use a fuel stabilizer?  If so, are there any problems with
> the fuel once she is underway again?

Fill the tank up, to reduce the amount of air, and therefore
condensation.  Use a fuel stabilizer.  It won't hurt the engine.

> 2.  Is it a good idea to run the engine periodically, even at idle in
> the slip, to keep the system functional and charge the batteries?  I've
> heard mixed comments on this...

No, winterize the engine and leave it be.  If you're worried about the
batteries, disconnect them and charge them with an electric charger.

> 3.  We're considering purchasing a canvas cover for her advertised in
> the sailing magazines--breathable, does not require a frame, looks like
> a good idea.

A canvas cover will help keep the boat clean, but isn't absolutely
necessary.  If you don't have a cover and it snows, you'll need to
shovel the snow out of the cockpit.  You'll need to shovel it off the
lazarette, anyway, or it can funnel water below.  You'll want to check
the boat periodically throughout the winter.  Also, it's important to
keep things ventilated or you'll have mildew problems.

  - George

   George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |