[Alberg30] Winter afloat questions

Bob Chambers BlueDolphin at rivnet.net
Sat Nov 2 09:27:51 PST 2002

1) Have never 'stabilized' my diesel fuel, possibly a good idea for gasoline. Tank should be almost full so little room for condensation.

2) Leaving them sit for four months or so in the cold weather is no problem.  On the old A4, I used to put several squirts of heavy oil in cylinders, then loosely replace spark plugs.  Need to be sure then in the spring to turn over a bit without plugs before trying to start or you may get a compression lock.  The diesel has always started quickly in spring.

3) Cover is a great idea, particularly if it is a snowy icy winter.  Biggest problem is cockpit filling with snow/ice, scuppers freezing, then a monsoon rain filling the cockpit which then runs into the cabin.  With a cover over cockpit, you can forget it and enjoy the fireplace at home.

Also) a) Don't forget to run antifreeze through ALL water lines and into the toilet and holding tank. Also into the sink after closing the thruhull.   Use the (semi) potable kind.
         b) Close ALL thruhulls.  With the good cockpit cover, I used to even close the cockpit scupper thruhulls.

Bob Chambers