[Alberg30] Prep A4 for Winter

Robert Kirk isobar at cablespeed.com
Mon Nov 4 12:35:18 PST 2002

>How do you prep an Atomic 4 engine for the winter (Canadian Winter) that
>is!

Pretty easy on mine which is salt water cooled with no thermostat, (if you
have a thermostat, you'll have to remove it.  Otherwise, you could warm up
the engine but still worry about the cool water closing the thermostat). It
can be done with the boat on the hard. Disconnect the water intake hose and
put the end in a bucket of 50-50 antifreeze & water. When the exhaust is
green, you're done. Then I just leave the engine as-is; I never oil the
cylinders or drain the carb but I make sure the gas tank full to prevent
condensation. The engine always starts on the first pull in the Spring.

Having done the antifreeze, it's a good time to drain the oil right away
while the engine is still warm. Some people change it in the Spring to
avoid the clean oil sitting in the engine over the Winter, but  I'm not
sure it makes a difference.

Also drain your fresh water tank and pump through some pink antifreeze*
till it reaches the sink. And put some antifreeze in the head, and you've
finished winterizing.

>  is it possible to hand
>crank engine enough to circulate the coolant thought the engine?

I suppose it is, but why not use the engine itself or at least the
batteries. Some day I'll have to try my hand crank for drill.

Finally, I leave the batteries in the boat all Winter without problem. I
have a little solar panel which keeps them trickle charged, but used to
just top them off every month or so with a charger. Originally, I'd bring
them home over the Winter, but then thought the boat is just as benign
environment as my garage to no ill effect.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181

*  Mike Lehman, I think it was, said he used to use vodka for the
antifreeze,. But then he spills more vodka in a week than you could
possibly use in the boat.

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |