[Alberg30] Running lines aft

vinegar joe snarkbuster at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 5 06:39:45 PST 2002

i raise my mainsail on my alberg 29 from the cockpit without any problem, but it took me a couple of seasons to figure out that the topping lift should be pulled up good and tight until the sail is completely raised....i kept loosening it before i raised the sail (dumb, right?) and, man, that makes the job a lot more strenuous.  vinegar joe
 Peter Amos <peter.amos1 at btinternet.com> wrote:I have information on reefing the mainsail from the cockpit and anticipate no big problems there as the reefing lines are relatively short and the effort required fairly small if proper blocks and good anglesare used.Raising and lowering the mainsail from the cockpit  is a problem of a different magnitude.The run of the halyard is much longer and the effort required to raise the whole sail much greater.Does anyone have hands on experience of a cockpit system that uses 3/8" all rope halyard and tips on do's and dont's.Peter Amos #478