[Alberg30] Running lines aft

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Wed Nov 6 11:08:23 PST 2002

I had a system like the one described on a 27 foot boat. I used an Anderson 10 th operate the reefing lines and did not find added friction a problem. On a bigger boat, it could be but that was not my experience.

>>> timmins at optonline.net 11/05/02 06:09PM >>>

Peter,
   On my old Tartan 27, I had the halyards run to the cockpit and had 3/8 double braid halyards.
   For the jib, it was no problem at all. I also had a downhaul rigged to this halyard to aid in getting the sail down onto the deck.
   For the main, the two most important requirements were:
Keep the track and slides clean and well lubricated    and  devise a great lazy jack system to confine the sail as it's dropped.  It needs to be a great system or else you might have problems with the sail catching in it while raising it. I never had any issues with the amount of pull required to raise the sail. There is actually less friction raising the main than there is in any style of single line reefing (albeit much more rope length)
  I did not have my reef point rigged back to the cockpit for several reasons. Basically, when it was time to reef, I always want to tour the deck to make sure everything else is secure. I also don't like the single line reefing system due to the amount of friction added by all the turns. (this is especially true in a system as was detailed on this list a few days ago). An aged freind of mine (mid 80's I think) sails a Sabre 28 and has his single line reefing set up back to the cockpit using just the leech and luff cringles and he likes it. He also has an Anderson 40 ST winch doing the raising and pulling. (that's a mighty powerful winch).   Back to my old T27, I had a clam cleat on the mast by the main halyard and used it to control the halyard while reefing.
  Now for the T27 disclaimer..... My T27 was a yawl and frequently when it was time to reef, I would just drop the main and sail "jib and jigger".
Regards,
Brian       ex A30#497...T27#16