[Alberg30] Running lines aft

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Wed Nov 6 11:05:05 PST 2002

If you get a solid vang, you do not have to deal with the topping lift at all. That might be worth thinking about. I did that on a previous boat and it worked great with reefing lines led to the cockpit. I do not know if the geometry works out in favor of a solid vang on our boats. When I have measured the heitht of the boom above the deck when the sail is properly set (I think), I get about 30 or 32 inches. Given the length of the boom and the formulas for fitting solid vangs, I am  not sure it all works out. That is one thing I need to look into yet before next spring. I like the solid vang as a solution for the topping lift problem, but want to get my data straight before I spend money.

Garhauer has great prices on solid vangs and great disciounts at sailboat shows.

Reefing can't be a totally "in the cockpit affair" because one needs to tie off the reef ties on the sail and that can't be completely done from the cockpit. Nonetheless, leading the lines back in a single-line reefing system gets rid of most of the hassel.

>>> peter.amos1 at btinternet.com 11/05/02 05:32PM >>>

Joe,the topping lift is a Catch 22 situation.If I leave it supporting the boom the leech snags under the shrouds and lazy jacks when the main is being raised.If I slacken it the leech straightens and the main goes up more cleanly but needs more effort.The extra effort is no problem at the mast but as George points out becomes important at the cockpit.If I have to go to the mast to take care of problems or any part of the raising/reefing process I might as well do everything there.What I want is a system that allows a singlehander to do everything from the cockpit,without snags,when conditions are bumpy.All suggestions are welcome.I have considered a battenless main.Has anyone tried one?
Peter Amos #478