[Alberg30] stem head fitting

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Fri Nov 15 11:19:07 PST 2002

> Dave Terrell said:
>
> the idea I have is to have an aluminium  plate fabricated welded to the
> stem head fitting which is longer than the fitting - goes farther aft.
> This will allow the bow chocks to be moved aft making enough room for
> the installation of the anchor roller which I already have. We will also
> have to move the pulpit stantions aft a bit as well. Every thing will
> anchor as it does not but a few inches aft and shorten them( I think). I
> will provide appropriate support for the aft end of the  plate. And
> drainage too.

At what vertical level would this plate be welded to the stem fitting?
I'm not sure I understand how what you describe will solve the problem,
as I see it.  I think I'm missing something.  A drawing would help me
understand what you mean.

If you look at
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/bowroller/TomSutherland/Mvc-003f.jpg
you'll see that you can move the chocks without moving the pulpit
mounting.  There's several different approaches to the problem at
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/bowroller/ and
some pictures of the stem fitting at
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/Stem/ that might
interest you.

> If I just unscrew these screws will the stem head fitting come out? Is
> there anything stronger than caulking behind the fitting?- no M5200 is
> what I mean.

Unless it's been recaulked, you're likely to find air under the
stem fitting.  The caulking probably fell out years ago.

 - George

  Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
  May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
  you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                           from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |