[Alberg30] BOAT BUYING SCAM - BE CAREFUL

Wally Moran helm at georgianbaysailing.ca
Thu Oct 17 13:47:05 PDT 2002

Hello all - please pass the following on to every boater you know.
I was contacted two weeks ago by someone wanting to buy a boat I had
advertised on the net, which I sold about two years ago.
He offered about double what I had wanted - $4000 US. I suggested
that I knew of another boat he could buy if interested. He replied ok
and asked for a price, which I gave him.
He was allegedly buying this boat for a client in South Africa and
would have a client here in North America send me a bank draft for an
amount about $1200 more than the price of the boat. I would then send
the balance back to him via Western Union to an address in Nigeria
which he gave me, and his shipper would pick up the boat.
When the bank draft finally arrived, it was in US dollars rather than
Canadian dollars as he had advised me it would be, and considerably
more than the cost of the boat. I took the draft to the correspondent
Canadian bank (the Royal) to have them check the authenticity of the
draft, as this deal had all along seemed to good to be true.
Sure enough, it was bogus.
Had I not checked on it and cashed this through my regular bank,
where I am trusted, I would have sent these people $6300 US, plus
bought a boat that I doubt would have been picked up by them, putting
me out $14,500. I might also have been accused of and/or arrested for
fraud for attempting to cash this draft.
So be warned if someone wants to buy a boat you have for sale and the
deal sounds funny.
The name of the scammer was Dean Olawale and his e-mail address is
deanautofares at yahoo.com.
If you have come across anything like this, contact your local police
and give them my e-mail, or have them contact Const. Kerry Graham of
the Ontario Provincial Police, at 705-326-3536.
Also, keep in mind that this sort of scam could be used for nearly
any piece of equipment - cars, planes, whatever. Pass the word along
to everyone you know and your local media.

Yours truly,

Wally Moran

--
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in
sailing. Anon