[Alberg30] BOAT BUYING SCAM - BE CAREFUL

chrishardy chrishardy at tds.net
Thu Oct 17 18:27:31 PDT 2002

I get that crap from those guys at least once a week. Usually from
africa although the senders are from france canada and the US I have
sent he stuff to the fbi and it is so common I don't think they care
anymore. I made the misstake of replying in a very threatening way which
was a mistake. don't reply don't take the bait.

Wally Moran wrote:

> Hello all - please pass the following on to every boater you know.
> I was contacted two weeks ago by someone wanting to buy a boat I had
> advertised on the net, which I sold about two years ago.
> He offered about double what I had wanted - $4000 US. I suggested that
> I knew of another boat he could buy if interested. He replied ok and
> asked for a price, which I gave him.
> He was allegedly buying this boat for a client in South Africa and
> would have a client here in North America send me a bank draft for an
> amount about $1200 more than the price of the boat. I would then send
> the balance back to him via Western Union to an address in Nigeria
> which he gave me, and his shipper would pick up the boat.
> When the bank draft finally arrived, it was in US dollars rather than
> Canadian dollars as he had advised me it would be, and considerably
> more than the cost of the boat. I took the draft to the correspondent
> Canadian bank (the Royal) to have them check the authenticity of the
> draft, as this deal had all along seemed to good to be true.
> Sure enough, it was bogus.
> Had I not checked on it and cashed this through my regular bank, where
> I am trusted, I would have sent these people $6300 US, plus bought a
> boat that I doubt would have been picked up by them, putting me out
> $14,500. I might also have been accused of and/or arrested for fraud
> for attempting to cash this draft.
> So be warned if someone wants to buy a boat you have for sale and the
> deal sounds funny.
> The name of the scammer was Dean Olawale and his e-mail address is
> deanautofares at yahoo.com.
> If you have come across anything like this, contact your local police
> and give them my e-mail, or have them contact Const. Kerry Graham of
> the Ontario Provincial Police, at 705-326-3536.
> Also, keep in mind that this sort of scam could be used for nearly any
> piece of equipment - cars, planes, whatever. Pass the word along to
> everyone you know and your local media.
>
> Yours truly,
>
> Wally Moran

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |