[Alberg30] BOAT BUYING SCAM - BE CAREFUL

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Thu Oct 17 19:02:29 PDT 2002

All should be aware that these sorts of scams, and many others involving
what I would call inventive banking, are endemic in Nigeria and a few other
African countries. Some years ago I had a foreign visitor (who identified
himself as a Nigerian) to my federally funded (U.S. Army) museum in the
Washington, DC area. This well dressed and well spoken gentleman used some
minor professional pretext to obtain my (business) address, phone, and
email.  In about 3 months, (when I had more or less completely forgotten of
his existence)  I was contacted using this information by someone from
Nigeria who wanted me to, essentially, help launder US dollars (a few of
them mine!) through a Nigerian bank account--for which I would be well and
truly compensated.   I reported the incident to the Army CID; CID was
apparently informed by the FBI that this particular scam was common in the
US at that time. Unfortunately, these people are beyond the reach of US or
Canadian (or UK, for that matter) law.  The price of stupidity can be high.