[Alberg30] Bosuns Chair

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Thu Oct 17 19:36:09 PDT 2002

I vote for (and use):
1. 3 halyards up the mast, each very tight.
2. Mechanical ascenders (climbers gear) on bosun chair and a foot rope, one
on each of two halyards, allowing you to move yourself up or down at
will--with no reliance on anyone or anything else, except:
3. As a safety line, a separate shackle on the chair attached to the third
halyard with a prussic knot--which slides up or down the halyard easily
EXCEPT under load--when it grips tightly.

This rig has gotten me up/down many times. It is critical that you keep your
wits about you, but I find it comforting that this is as simple as I can
make it, and that I need not rely on anyone else's strength, judgement, or
competence to keep me alive and accomplish my task.

Rob