[Alberg30] dropping the mast...

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Sun Oct 20 12:24:02 PDT 2002

"C.B. Currier" wrote:

> Well Bill,
> If you are in the annapolis area there is an A frame you can borrow...

These A-Frames are very useful and convenient, but, having experienced a
mechanical failure related to one this summer (after crossing Lake
Ontario at night, ironically enough), I'd advise caution... This was not
on an A-30, but on a friend's 29' sloop (can;t recall the make right
now). After 10 years of ownership, with the A-Fram rig, and untold
raisings and lowerings, -this- time, the bolts (turned out to be wood
screws) securing the base of the mast (with the hinge) pulled out of the
deck with the mast halfway down.

He was on the port side, aft, using the stbd side jib sheet winch to
lower the mast, I was forward, walking with the roller furling. It fell
abruptly, denting the aft rail and smashing a solr panel. If he had been
underneath it, he would have been seriously injusred. So, particularly
with this sort of "lighter weight" rig, BE SURE to stay clear of the
path where the mast may potentially fall. The experience shook us up
pretty well, but only minor rope burns, thankfully.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |