[Alberg30] Screw packing / Winter work

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Wed Oct 23 17:47:54 PDT 2002

Bill,

If the stuffing box is not leaking, it is easier to work on the boat in the
water. Packing is generally wax coated flax placed in the aperture
surrounding the shaft, the cuts cannot align as installed otherwise it will
leak. Normally you would like to see a drip of water (every minute??) to
cool the shaft, I haven't adjusted a stuffing box since my teen years and
can't remember the frequency of drips. It shouldn't be overly tight
otherwise you will overheat and wear the shaft.

Obtain a West Marine Catalog they have a number of packing types with some
great explanations.

I installed the PSS Dripless Stuffing Box 4 years ago on #114 and have been
totally satisfied with its performance.

Regards,
Stephen