[Alberg30] Cutless Bearing Removal

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Sun Oct 27 06:00:12 PST 2002

> As a sidebar, the bearing is so firmly fixed in the casing (of course,
I've
> now unscrewed the bronze tube), it has resisted all home-grown efforts to
> push or knock it out. Part of the problem is I don't know just how
> aggressive I can be without damaging the casing. I hesitate to try cutting
> it, as I don't want to cut into the bronze casing. Any ideas?

  There is (or at least there was on mine) a set screw that goes through the
outer housing and into the bronze sleeve that holds the cutless bearing.
  You did loosen / remove the set screw, right?
   The cutless bearing is a press fit into the housing. If you have access
to a press, it should come right out. If not, fashion a punch out of a piece
of pipe or something just wide enough to engage the inner bronze sleeve
(that houses the rubber) and small enough to fit into the outer bronze
housing and TAP it out using a heavy hammer.
Good Luck,
Brian     ex#497

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |