[Alberg30] Cutless Bearing Removal

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Tue Oct 29 06:34:41 PST 2002

> Voyager Toronto said:
>
> Thanks to everyone for the great tips. This is a newly purchased first boat
> and yes, Brian & Elaine and Mike, I'm embarassed to say I did miss the two
> set screws on the heavily corroded casing, which I reexamined after your
> messages. Now I have the problem of drilling them out, as the slotted (not
> allen) screw heads turn out to be have been stripped.

You might want to consider taking the piece, and the new cutless bearing,
to a machine shop and get them to do that job.  Drilling out stainless
screws can be extremely difficult.  That's what I would do, anyway.  I'm
trying to learn my limitations so I don't make bigger messes than I
started with.

When you put in the new cutless bearing, be sure to drill holes to
match the ones on the nosepiece.  It's the water flow that lubricates
the bearing.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |