[Alberg30] dropping the mast...

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Sun Oct 20 13:37:01 PDT 2002

Bill,
The method employed depends upon the rig you use.  The annapolis rig
requires that you thread a forward and aft line (lets call them A-frame
stays). THe Stay has to work in such a way as to thread through the upper
triangular area of either the port or starboard upper between the spreader
and where it joins the mast. since the butt is heavier and longer it makes
it easire to walk forward with the butt.
A few semantics in the trick.

If you are around annapolis, there are a few folks who may be able to help
you out with this.  Just drop a note as to your location.

C.B. Currier
Infinity #57
Daybreak #458

Bill Blevins said:
> The photos on the Alberg 30 Web site show the butt going forward. Does
> it matter?
>
> Also, how long is the A frame when disassembled?
>
> Bill
>
> --
>

> On Saturday, Oct 19, 2002, at 06:41PM, C.B. Currier
> <cbcurrier at spinrx.com> wrote:
>
>>Well Bill,
>>If you are in the annapolis area there is an A frame you can borrow. Or
>> you  can use a gin pole. either way the fram must reach to the
>> spreaders where the  approximate center of gravity is on the mast. Lift
>> the mast then walk it down  using a block & tackle to lower. Swing the
>> butt aftward. simple process that  works really well.
>>

>>C.B. Currier
>>Infinity #57
>>Daybreak #458
>>

>>On Saturday 19 October 2002 04:08 pm, you wrote:
>>> Hi Bill!
>>>
>>> Didn't Yves Gelinas come up with a clever way to drop the mast on
>>> "Jean du Sud"? Maybe someone else knows the trick, because I'd love
>>> to learn it myself!
>>>
>>> FF
>>> Nisus
>>

> --
> Bill Blevins, Internet director
> The Free Lance-Star
> billblevins at fredericksburg.com
> http://www.fredericksburg.com
> --

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |