[Alberg30] secondaries vs cabintop winches

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Thu Apr 24 08:45:58 PDT 2003

Dear List-

Here's yet another question in J's series of deck layout inquiries. I
hope you're not sick of them yet.

I have only primary winches. I'm getting some new ones, but I'll still
only have primaries.

I am wondering how best to lead my spinsheets forward to the trimmer. It
seems like most people are using secondaries. However, I dreamt up
another scenario, and I want to run it by you and see what you think.

1. Turning blocks on the transom corners, all the way aft.
2. Ratchet blocks mounted on deck just inside the toerail, just forward
of the primaries.
3. Cabintop winches mounted inside the handrails, and near the aft end
of the house.

When the breeze is light, ratchets turned off. As the breeze comes on,
ratchets turn on. When it really starts to blow, ratchets on plus the
cabintop winch. Guy would always go to the primary, with a crew sitting
next to the winch and trimming. Sheet trimmer always stands on the
windward side deck so he/she can see the luff of the sail.

This arrangement would prevent the sheet from being led through the
cockpit and getting in the helmsman's way, because it would run across
the boat pretty far forward (like over the bridge deck). It might be in
the way if somebody needs to go through the companionway, but this seems
less important than being in the helmsman's way. Also, the cabintop
winches could double as halyard and/or reef winches if I ever lead those
aft.

Drawbacks are:

1. Have to get cabintop winches.
2. Have to drill holes in cabintop for said winches (and I hate drilling
holes in my boat).
3. Would need to mount winches on pedestals to get them high enough for
sheet to lead fair from ratchet block to the winch without rubbing on
top of the companionway rail (which is bronze on my boat, and might
cause significant chafe...).

The alternative would be to mount secondaries and just deal with the
sheet leading across the cockpit.
Second alternative would be to just use primaries as the spinnaker winch.

Actually, I am probably going to do the second alternative for this
season, but I thought I'd ask  the question to see if anybody uses a
setup as I described, and whether it seems to work well, or if anybody
has other good ideas.

Ciao,

J Bergquist
Calliope #287