[Alberg30] secondaries vs cabintop winches

Larry Morris larmor at myexcel.com
Fri Apr 25 07:21:23 PDT 2003

J.

you mentioned you were getting new primary winches?  What are you doing with
the old ones?  Use them for secondary winches!  I like to use secondary
winches in the aft end of the cockpit, because the mainsail trimmer can do
double duty of spinnaker grinder when the breeze is up. As far as the sheet
cutting across the cockpit: In light air my trimmer sits on the low side at
the shrouds, weight in a good place and the sheet runs straight up the deck;
In Medium and Heavy air my trimmer stands at the  mast or the high side
shrouds, Weight in a good place and the sheet typically cuts across the
companionway, well out of my way when steering from the high side.  The guy
is lead forward to the primary winch with one wrap left on the secondary
winch, this moves the guy trimmer forward in the boat to give the mainsail
trimmer more room to work and improve weight placement.

Also, I am a big believer in having at least one wrap on the winch no matter
how light the wind.  This is the most efficient way to transfer the sheet
shock load to the boats forward motion.  I don't believe a ratchet block is
sufficient for this purpose for our boats.

Fair Winds

Larry Morris
Solstice #501