[Alberg30] Re: Throttle/shift controls

Miabarchet at aol.com Miabarchet at aol.com
Tue Apr 1 19:56:50 PST 2003

Thanks to everyone for their input.  I was able to correct the problem. I
will recap so if it happens to anyone else they will know the solution. First
the problem was not with the cables, it was the shift lever drive shaft that
was bound. The shift lever attaches to a 1 in. (aprox) Dia. bronze shaft that
has a hex drive on each end and has a 7/16" dia. bore (aprox) thru it. The
bore is for the throttle drive shaft to pass thru. Since both shafts are
bronze and plastic sleeve bearings are use on the throttle shaft corrosion is
unlikely to occur and cause the throttle shaft to bind.

The shift drive shaft however passes thru an aluminum housing. Inside the
aluminum housing is a bronze split bushing. Corrosion in the aluminum housing
caused by salt spray closed up the bore in the housing and put pressure on
the split bushing clamping it on the drive shaft. If the bushing had been
solid it might not have closed to that extent. I had to take the unit to
someone with an arbor press and have it pressed out. I then used emery paper
to remove the corrosion and assembled everything using an expensive grease
that is highly resistant to salt water and road salt and now it works great.
I globbed on a lot of grease to help keep water out.

I think most of the damage was done when we had to turn abeam to 7-8 ft
breaking waves as we turned into the approach to Atlantic City and a wave
brook into the cockpit. But that's another story.

Thanks again for your suggestions and I hope this info helps anyone who might
run into a similar problem. When I took the control to a marina to press out
the shaft their first impression was that it couldn't be fixed, they usually
only last 10 years and that I'd have to spring for $500 for a new one.

Jim Allocco