[Alberg30] Bonding of hull fittings?

Gordon LACO mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Apr 8 07:25:37 PDT 2003

on 4/8/03 9:11 AM, George Dinwiddie at gdinwiddie at alberg30.org wrote:

> I would think that electrolysis and galvanic corrosion would be less of
> a problem in fresh water, due to the fact that there are far fewer ions
> dissolved in the water.  Perhaps someone who normally sails on the Great
> Lakes can tell you what is the normal course of action there.  In any
> event, there is no point in bonding if you have no zinc.
>
> - George
>
> EddieDiver at aol.com wrote:
>> Got the various messages re: bonding. I no the 2 schools of thought re: yes
>> or no to bonding. I would like to know if bonding is only for boats in salt
>> water as all of the articles that I have read on the subject only mention
>> "salt water" in the sentence discussing bonding. They leave unsaid any
>> mention of fresh water.
>>
>> Emotional Rescue #303 is in Lake Michigan. We have no bonding and no zincs.
>> So far, we have had no problems. Ed. Schroeder
hello Folks -

Here is my two cents worth... yes fresh water is a poorer electrolite than
salt water.   But I would like to throw in a caution.

There is much danger in changing the electrical situation in an older boat.
I would recommend that if you are noticing trouble (ie deterioration of
through-hulls etc) the issue is worth tackling.   If you are not noticing
trouble, and your boat is old - you run an even chance of creating trouble
by opening paths of galvanic action where they did not exist before.

Gord
#426 Surprise