[Alberg30] 2 blade prop

Kevin Blanc t.k.blanc at att.net
Fri Apr 11 17:24:23 PDT 2003

We're using the 3x10x7.4 prop sold by Indigo Electronics
(www.atomic4.com). It's (advertised as being) designed specifically for
the A4 engine. Since all that Indigo does is A4 stuff, I don't  think
that's hype. It's an oddly shaped prop with little winglets on it that
are meant to cut down on cavitation.

It's much better backing. It backs straighter, steers a little better,
and starts moving backwards sooner.

It vibrates less.

It provides a slightly lower idle speed and, I think,a higher high
speed. That's a seat of the pants thing, though, I can't prove it.

Boat speed recovers faster after banging into chop. This is a seat of
the pants thing that I'm sure about.

The engine runs at a higher RPM, but more quietly (less "boom"). Some
folks contend that that's worse for an older engine, but I don't see
how. There's less pressure on everything inside the engine if it's
running faster per knot of forward motion. Of course, I wouldn't spin
much faster than 2500 even if I could. It cruises at about 2K or 2.1K. I
would imagine that the increased water flow and charging current are
bonuses, too, but again, I can't measure that.

All that being said, my partner is getting itchy to put the two-blade
back on because he's concerned the prop is slowing us down when racing.
Of course, he's right. How much, I'm not sure, but it does have slightly
more surface area (less than 10 percent more, I think) than the original
Columbia 13x7, and you can't tuck it behind the deadwood. Once we get
better at racing (there's so many other things to improve at), I'm sure
it'll come off.

If you sail no matter the wind speed, think twice. If, however, you find
yourself motoring a lot and sailing when the wind is reasonable, you
might like it.