[Alberg30] Ballast (was: Keelbolts)

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Apr 16 08:02:38 PDT 2003

Lew,

Thanks for that information.  It inspired me to add a bit about the
ballast to the website.  I've included the bulk of your email, and also
added some other things that I think I know about the ballast in the
Alberg 30.  Perhaps people can take a look at
http://www.alberg30.org/boat/A30faq.html#ballast and give me corrections
and elaborations.

  - George

Lewdohn at aol.com wrote:
> None of the Alberg 30's had keelbolts. They all had internal ballast. The
> owner who replied that one, owned by a Canadian, had lead ballast was
> correct. I was the owner. At the time of ordering my boat I wrote to Carl
> Alberg and asked him for advice. He answered that he would recommend it and I
> would have a better boat. It cost me $80 extra. The builder, Kurt Hansen,
> after installing mine, said that he would not do any more as the  mould had
> to be shipped to a different foundry to be cast and it was too much of a
> hassle. The weight remained the same giving me a little more room under the
> cabin sole. The boat was # 78 with black hull, gold cove stripe, white boot
> top and green anti-fouling. I named her Caliban after the character in
> Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'
> She won the Great Lakes Championship three years running. The last I heard of
> her was when she was shipped to San Francisco a number of years ago.
> If there is any further information required, I will try to accommodate.
> Fair winds and a safe passage, Lew Dohn

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy