[Alberg30] Rigging Tension

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Thu Apr 17 11:06:09 PDT 2003

You can do it your self. it takes a little patience and time.  Loos
makes a rig tension gauge that makes the job easier. They make a regular
gauage - model 179366 - in the west marine catalogue for 49.99 and a
professional one  - model 289019 for 74.99. The professional one  grabs
the wire and should not fall off into the water accidently and is more
accurage. I am glad  I purchases a few years ago as they seem a little
pricey now. I am sure  you can get better prices elsewhere - sailnet or
defender. In the archive of the last spring there is an extensive
discussion of this topic. I do not know if this discussion has been
summarized somethere on the site. Looking at subject threads last spring
should lead you to the specific numbers if they haven't been posted on
the site.Good luck.

>>> John-Sommer at idexx.com 04/17/03 11:19AM >>>
I am preparing to launch my boat for the season in a couple of weeks
and
wanted to know what the rigging tension I should use for cruising.
Secondly, should I do this myself or have the folks who step the mast
do it.
Third how do I measure the tension (cheaply).  I would appreciate your
thoughts.  Thanks.

John Sommer
Mandolaire, #5
Portland, ME