[Alberg30] Rigging Tension

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Apr 17 14:37:58 PDT 2003

Yeah, Sailnet has the Pro model for about $54
(http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=19788)
or the other one a little cheaper.

You could search the archives for Mike's survey of different boats.  I
can't seem to find it right off hand, but I did find Brian's summary
(http://www.alberg30.org/pipermail/public-list/2001-December/002501.html).
   There's lots of advice on rig tuning in the list archives.  Just use
the search box on http://www.alberg30.org/ and it'll include the list as
well as the web site.

BTW, John, I believe that Mandolaire is properly known as number US5.
Most of the early boats included US or KC in the sail number, and the
numbers were duplicated for the US and Canada.

  - George

Dave Terrell wrote:
> You can do it your self. it takes a little patience and time.  Loos
> makes a rig tension gauge that makes the job easier. They make a regular
> gauage - model 179366 - in the west marine catalogue for 49.99 and a
> professional one  - model 289019 for 74.99. The professional one  grabs
> the wire and should not fall off into the water accidently and is more
> accurage. I am glad  I purchases a few years ago as they seem a little
> pricey now. I am sure  you can get better prices elsewhere - sailnet or
> defender. In the archive of the last spring there is an extensive
> discussion of this topic. I do not know if this discussion has been
> summarized somethere on the site. Looking at subject threads last spring
> should lead you to the specific numbers if they haven't been posted on
> the site.Good luck.

> I am preparing to launch my boat for the season in a couple of weeks
> and
> wanted to know what the rigging tension I should use for cruising.
> Secondly, should I do this myself or have the folks who step the mast
> do it.
> Third how do I measure the tension (cheaply).  I would appreciate your
> thoughts.  Thanks.
>
> John Sommer
> Mandolaire, #5
> Portland, ME

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy