[Alberg30] Cutlass bearing removal

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 23 08:06:45 PDT 2003

Hi Bob,

It would help to know what hull #/year of your boat. On my boat #505/1972
the cutlass bearing housing is screwed onto the stern tube. There are two
bolts into the keel on the cutlass bearing housing. Remove the two bolts and
unscrew the complete housing from the stern tube. Now that you have the
housing with old cutlass bearing inside, you can place it in a vise and
using a hacksaw blade carefully cut sections out of the cutlass bearing.
Once you have removed a section or two you should be able to remove the
entire cutlass bearing from the housing. Then work on removing the screws.
Heat might help. You may eventually end up drilling out and re-tapping the
set screws. Replacement set screws should be SS allen screws. Install the
new cutlass bearing; cut it to proper length; and drill water vent holes
through the bearing where the water inlets are in the housing. Put in new
set screws and re-install the housing with new bearing back on the boat. The
good thing about removing the housing is that if you do not possess the
skills or tools, you can take it to a machine shop.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505