[Alberg30] Cutlass bearing removal

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Wed Apr 23 08:23:58 PDT 2003

My experience was exactly as that mentioned earler,  It became necessary to
drill and tap the set screws and replace them with new.

There are two large bolts that fasten the sternpost flange to the exterior
hull.  Remove these and unscrew the entire flange from the tube. This is
how it is attached on #433.   You can then take the entire assembly to a
shop or do it yourself on a bench.  I took this assembly to the yard shop
and had them do the work.  If you don't have access to a press I am told
you can take a hack saw blade and carefully cut the cutlass along its
length inside the tube.  To install the new bearing it may help to heat the
sternpost flange in an oven to expand the opening prior to inserting the
new cutlass bearing.  Good luck.