[Alberg30] Cutlass bearing removal

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 23 10:31:37 PDT 2003

Bob,

Here's a thought - use a magic marker to put an indicator mark on the stern
tube inside the boat. I believe that you can do this from the inspection
plate opening in the cockpit. Then turn the cutlass bearing housing
counter-clockwise for a quarter turn. Then look at the mark on the stern
tube. If it hasn't moved, you're in good shape. If it has moved, then it the
stern tube isn't seated well and is probably leaking. The good news is that
you have discovered a misterious leak; the bad news is that it's more work
than you bargained for, but then again it's a boat and things are always
more difficult that they seem at first.

Also, George was suggesting dripless packing. I used it on three boats and
it works great. Produces less friction that conventional packing and doesn't
drip anymore which means less maintenance. Mine has been in place for 6
years and still working fine and I haven't touched it!

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505