[Alberg30] Cutlass bearing removal

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Apr 23 09:59:39 PDT 2003

Bob wrote:
> How is this flange connected to the stern tube that fastens to the
> stuffing box inside the boat?

The stern tube is threaded and the flange is screwed onto it.

> If you look inside the boat where the tube protrudes from the stern post
> there is one "pile" of caulking.
> I'm not sure that when I attempt to turn and pull the stern flange if it
> is turning the inside stern tube at the same time.
>
> Is the stern tube held in place just by the pile of caulking inside the
> sternpost or is it threaded into the sternpost flange assembly?
> I cannot see how the two parts are connected.

The stern tube is held in by caulking.  If unscrewing the flange can
turn the stern tube in the caulking, it's not being held very securely,
already.  If it turns when you try to unscrew the flange, you'll need to
redo it by cleaning out all the old caulk and recaulking with 5200.
Mike has done this job on a couple boats and can give you more details
(or search the message archives).

> (Q1) What size packing is needed for the 7/8" shaft packing box?

Mine used 3/16" packing.  You might be interested in the drip-less
packing--see
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/StuffingBox/
I've just put that on, but Mike's used it for years.

> (Q2) What size is the bullet shaped anode that fastens to the prop nut?

It depends on what you've got.  I have a Camp ZN-1 zinc
(http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/propnut.gif) and I
have to trim the point to clear the rudder.  There are other kinds of
prop nuts for zincs, too.

  - George

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy