[Alberg30] Wood for Spreaders

schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com
Thu Apr 24 12:33:24 PDT 2003

>On the boats I have seen with wooden spreaders, they were varnished bt the
tops were painted white to reflect the the effects of UV..

I don't have a control to compare varnish/paint, but Checkmate is on an 8
year cycle where I pull the mast, strip varnish from the spreaders, and lay
on a bunch of coats (7) of Captain's spar varnish. It pretty much needs it
after 8 years of basically no maintainance, but a more ambitious person
could easily hang from a bosun's chair every year and smear another coat
on. Frankly, I don't see getting any better performance out of paint, but I
could be wrong. That's with one spreader of white oak, one of red oak. I
see no difference in the durability of the varnish as regards wood type.

Michael