[Alberg30] Preparing to Buy

Mary & Bill Mahony mabwjm at starpower.net
Sat Apr 26 07:40:43 PDT 2003

Tom,

    As I understand, the masonite core tends to resist rot resulting from
water leaking into the core---through deck fittings, bolts, etc.  There are
people much more knowledgeable than I on just how much more resistant to
this the masonite is.  If you start to look around at used boats, one of the
early flags that will pop up in your research is "soft spots" in decks--that
results from water seeping into the core, and is an important factor in
purchasing the boat--unless it's extensive and has affected the structural
integrity of the boat, these soft spots can be repaired, but it's not a
simple job.

    Your pre-purchase survey will tell you what shape your prospective
boat's deck is in.  Continued attention to sources of water seepage will
help keep the core dry.  I certainly would not avoid a good post-70 boat
that surveyed well--there are a number of improvements in newer boats,
proving one of the fundamental rules in boat ownership--everything's a trade
off!  ;-)

    Fair winds,
Bill
#276 "Mary Ann"