[Alberg30] Preparing to Buy

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 26 19:09:22 PDT 2003

Tom,

Balsa decks are far more susceptible to delamination than masonite. We have
a balsa core in our boat and have carefully and repeatedly re-bed deck
hardware over the 26 years we have owned our boat and have not experienced
any problems, but I am afraid that many boats have not had the same care.
Masonite (peg board actually) had a much better bond partly due to the holes
which connected the layers. There can still be problems, but the likelihood
of a serious problems is diminished. Like I always say.They all started out
equal when they left the factory, it's what has happened to them over the
past 30+ years that determines their value today.