[Alberg30] Preparing to Buy (sort of long, sorry)

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Sun Apr 27 06:30:18 PDT 2003

 Tom,
    If you buy the CD25, you'll almost immediately wish for the extra space
of the A30. Go sit in a CD25 and imagine being stuck in the cabin all day in
bad weather. The A30 is comfortable (and sails better too). Yes, it's bigger
which means everything costs more. Not true if you consider doing everything
twice (once on a CD then again on an A30). If your really worried about the
inboard, the A30 comes in (basically) two varieties. Most originally came
with the Atomic 4 gas engine. This is THE most reliable and easiest to work
on gas marine engine! There is sort of a cult built up around this engine
with a couple of real Guru's. There are web sites for info, mail lists for
conversation, and lots of dependable sources for parts. It's a very simple
engine.  The other choice is a diesel. If you don't understand diesels, they
can be a bit intimidating at first. As your knowledge starts to grow, all of
a sudden you'll say "NOW I understand". Diesels are very simple and
dependable engines (once you hit that point).      In either case they are
better than outboards. Even with the outboard in an inboard well like the
CD25, when you are powering into head seas (and I don't mean giant head
seas) the outboard is too far aft and too high on the hull ands ends up
plunging in and out of the water. This will happen on most power boat wakes
you'll encounter. The other thing that happens when this see sawing happens
is that the power head of the outboard gets heavily sprayed (almost dunked
in some cases) with sea water. Not a good thing.
  I could go on but I feel I'm starting to rant. Choose an inboard. You'll
be happier in the long run.
Regards,
Brian    ex#497
 That would,