[Alberg30] Fridge on #148

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Tue Aug 5 11:56:53 PDT 2003

Stephen;

I believe it is Norcold but will check at home and get model number as well.
The frig came w/ the boat (I purchased in April) but I understand she
originally had the high (dresser height) ice box and it was simply a matter
of inserting the unit in the available space.

It is very quiet; the refrigeration stuff is behind the unit and accessible
from the old cockpit hatch that I understand was used to load ice and get
beer.  Previous owner thinks he burned out the first unit because of lack of
ventilation so he put a small computer fan on the new unit.  I have been
keeping the hatch cracked open while it is on until I implement my fancy new
ventilation system.

It is an AC/DC unit but I still have not figured out it works on AC.  I have
yet to measure energy consumption (perhaps it is in the manual) but, from
the few nights I have spent on board, have noticed it seems to run often and
cycles on and off allot.  I should remove it and see if more insulation can
be added.

The size is pretty good.  Small freezer area with those toy ice trays.
Water freezes in fridge part at maximum setting an fairly hot weather.
Yesterday I put in a 30 pack of beer cans and filled the main area about
70%.  There are also large door shelves good for bottles.  If I had my
druthers I would have a separate cooler for drinks (I have considered
cutting out the compass box so there is room under the bridge deck or
lowering the counter above the engine if there is enough clearance) and
would also have a fold up canvas cooler about the size and shape as the
fridge so I could load it home and easily transfer to the fridge on the
boat.

Roger Kingsland