[Alberg30] Diesel Fuel-line dimensions

RC Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Thu Aug 7 20:36:27 PDT 2003

I don't know what the fuel requirements are for your engine, but it should
be fairly simple to calculate your return requirements by subtracting the
fuel burned at max RPM from the lift pump capacity (which may be constant,
regardless of RPM)  The difference is what is returned to your tank,
typically several gallons per hour--which is why clean filters are critical.
The capacity of the return hose needs to be near or in excess of the return
measured in units of volume over time at the pump's rated pressure. Sounds
complicated but it isn't.
Mike's ballpark figures sound reasonable, depending on the volume of fuel
delivered by the lift pump.  A half gallon an hour usage at max RPM may be
high, depending on your engine. Always use maximum figures--max pressure,
max volume, max RPM.
Rob Alley