[Alberg30] Diesel Fuel-line dimensions

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 7 22:23:03 PDT 2003

Calvin;
    You may be having trouble with the idea  that you seem to be trying to marry
a gas tank with a diesel engine.  The first line from the tank needs to go to a
filter/water separator system, usually  under low pressure but there may be a
pump in this system, and then another from the filters to the pump. The
injector  pump then raises the pressure considerably, usually to over 2000 psi.
The next lines go from the pump to the injectors and the return then goes back
to the tank (still under high pressure). All  the high pressure lines must be
steel and with flared end connections or other high pressure connecting systems.
The lines from the pump to the injectors are usually very thick walled and,
depending on the pump,  separate lines per injector with a manifold system for
excess fuel that goes back to the tank. There is no rubber, or neoprene hose
that will take the pressure so avoid a spill and use steel. I have seen double
steel braided flex hose used for the return though.
    You are not particularly clear where you measure the 0.33 on the "engine'
but in practice, there are no fuel lines going into the "engine" like they might
on a  carb on a gasoline motor. Usually, there is no easy way to get a set of
injector lines without buying them prebent to the specs that consider the
alignment of the motor' injectors and pump. Any kink in the tubing cuts flow too
much and with thick walled steel tubing, accurate bending is very tough to do at
home. If your measurements are as far out as 0.33 and 0.375 for one hose, then
consider getting factory spec'ed connections just to keep diesel fuel out of the
bilge. Most fuel systems I have had use steel lines from the filter system to
the pump, but on farm and road vehicles there is a greater shock load than on a
boat. See if a steel system willl match up better than what you describe.
    The tank connections might be a  barb for the line to the filter,  and the
connection for threaded couplers is for the return. You will need the supply
side bigger than the return side. There are three things necessary for long life
in diesels, clean fuel, good oil, changed on time,  and clean air. Water ends
things in a hurry. Hope this helps. If you still have problems, you might want
to join  the Great Lakes Alberg Assn  through Ken Stephenson at
kiltarlity at bmts.com
to talk to others in Toronto who have the same motor.
Don Campbell   #528